I think we can all agree that the best thing about award shows is the drama. Don’t get us wrong, we love celebrating our fave’s accomplishments and seeing the best and worst dressed…. but nothing sparks up a group chat or puts a twinkle in the eyes of all the meme makers more than award show drama. Think Yeezy interrupting baby faced Taylor Swift to declare his love for Beyoncé (we’d do the same, if we’re honest), Miley’s 2013 VMA performance which we’re all still trying (and failing) to forget and Nicki’s ‘Miley, what’s good?’ moment.
The VMAs are always full of drama and this year didn’t disappoint.
Here’s what you might’ve missed:
- Katy Perry kicked off the night by singing ‘Swish Swish’ and honestly, we could’ve done without it.
- Kendrick Lamar won lots of awards and lit up the stage. Literally.
- Teyana Taylor’s body is still #GOALS and we’re still trying to learn the routine to ‘Fade’
- Ed Sheeran won Artist of the Year which baffles us because Beyoncé exists and she should win Artist of the Year every year.
- Pink won the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and reminded us how important it is to be true to ourselves and not let the haters bring us down!
- Miley performed and we were low-key disappointed with how tame it was. Where was the giant foam finger? Where was the awkward twerking? Why did she look like an extra from Grease? We were left with more questions than answers.
- DJ Khaled’s mini me, Asahd, rocked a custom Gucci suit and we were all a little jealous.
- Fifth Harmony shaded their former band member Camilla Cabello in the BEST possible way and they even had a mic drop moment. Now that’s how you throw shade! (@taylorswift, take notes)
- Lorde lost her voice so instead of singing her latest single she gave us an interpretive dance performance which was very… interesting.
- Taylor Swift (or should we say Sssssswift) premiered the music video for her new song ‘Look What You Made Me Do’ and there’s a lot to unpack:
*She threw shade at Kim K by sitting in a bathtub full of jewellery… a bit too soon don’t you think, Tay?
* She threw shade at Tom Hiddleston by having her backup dancers wear ‘I <3 T.S.’ shirts so we’re guessing things didn’t end well there.
* She threw shade at Katy Perry with the lyric “You ask me for a place to sleep / Locked me our and threw a feast”, a reference to Katy’s Bon Appétit music video
* She threw A LOT of shade at Kanye. She referenced his phone recording, that lyric from ‘Famous’ and the now infamous 2009 VMAs incident.
We’re patiently waiting for a Kimye response.