Babes bored at home, don't forget to keep your health and metabolism in check! Do yourself a favour and check some of these delicious, immune-boosting smoothies to ensure you remain healthy through self-isolation.
Worried about the taste of protein powder or have a particularly sweet tooth? Not to worry girl, cuz' so are we. Our weekly smoothie guide offers recipes tailor-made for our girls who love anything sugary sweet but are also on top of their diet. Try them out today!
Monday - Oatmeal and cookie dough smoothie (Vegan)
Prep time (5 mins)
This yummy and creamy cookie dough smoothie tastes exactly like biting into oatmeal cookie dough, but cold and extra satisfying. Plus, it's a great breakfast alternative if you're not one for eggs and bacon, but need your daily calorie intake.
- 1 medium frozen banana (100 g)
- 1/4 cup (20 g) raw oats
- 1 tsp (4 g) chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vanilla almond milk
All you have to do is dump the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth! Serve in a chilled glass and garnish with cocoa powder or chocolate chips.
Tuesday - Cranberry orange smoothie
Prep time (2-3 mins)
Love berries and orange juice? Why not combine both and pack in some extra antioxidants into your diet at the same time. Did you know that many dietitians refer to cranberries as a superfood? It's because they're filled with nutrients that actively flush the body with toxins. Plush, they are only about 25 calories for half a cup.
A handful of ice (about 6 cubes)
- 170g vanilla yoghurt (any brand)
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large banana (preferably chilled)
Protein powder, optional
Combine ice, yoghurt, cranberries, orange juice and the banana. Blend for 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides halfway if needed. Blend in protein powder if desired. Enjoy!
Wednesday - Spotlight Mango Smoothie (Vegan)
Prep time (5 mins)
Add some colour into the middle of your week with this fruity tri-coloured tropical smoothie. It looks just like a traffic light, and the ingredients are so simple! It makes the perfect healthy breakfast, quick snack or on a hot day, a refreshing dessert.
- 1 1/4 cups frozen mango pieces
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 1 cup or water/almond milk mixed (I used half of each)
- Frozen banana, honey, stevia, or agave (optional sweeteners)
Place mango into a blender with almond milk and water mix and blend until smooth. Add more mango to thicken. Pour 2/3 of the smoothie mixture into a serving container.
Add strawberries to clean blende and blend until smooth. Add more water/almond milk or sweeten if needed. Add 1/2 small frozen banana to thicken. Pour 3/4 of the smoothie into the serving glass on top of the mango layer.
Add spinach to the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the serving glass until smooth. Enjoy!
Thursday - Healthy Peppermint Patty Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Prep time (3 mins)
This quick, easy smoothie recipe takes like a sweetened peppermint patty only this is filled with superfoods, is super creamy and thick just like ice cream.
- 1/2 large frozen avocado
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar to sweeten
- 1 tablespoon of almond flour
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop of protein powder of choice
- 1/2-1 cup unsweetened dairy-free or almond milk.
- Peppermint extract.
- Dairy-free chocolate chips and mint leaves for garnish.
Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until desired consistency is reached. Thicken with cacao powder or thin with almond milk. Pour in chilled serving glass and top with chocolate chips and mint leaves.
Friday - Creamy Chocolate Breakfast Shake (Vegan)
Prep time (10 mins)
Don't be afraid to indulge in some chocolate! This shake/smoothie is a perfect energy booster and go-to breakfast if you plan on having an action-packed day. It contains bananas for potassium and antioxidising cocoa powder and blueberries to make that chocolate taste really pop! Makes the perfect breakfast, snack, or late-night dessert.
- 2 frozen ripe bananas (chopped prior to freezing)
- 1/3 cup frozen strawberries (or blueberries)
- 2-3 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp salted almond butter*
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1.5-2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (sub soy or coconut)
- 1 dash stevia or agave nectar (depending on sweetness of bananas)
1/3 cup ice
1 big handful of spinach (optional // not pictured here)'
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer a more chocolatey shake, add more cocoa powder. Sweeten by adding stevia or agave extract.
Hey... you thought we'd leave out the weekend for some tasty treats? Girl you thought!
Here are some yummy extras that are super indulgent and extra sweet!
Saturday - Salted caramel and cookie dough smoothie
Prep time (5 mins)
If you're a lover of cookie dough, you'll love this smoothie recipe. Cool and creamy, this weekend treat is ridiculously comforting. It tastes indulgent but is made with healthy ingredients and oats! Apologies if you were expecting actual caramel, but we promise you that one sip of this more robust version will have you begging for more. Salt is optional, but it really brings out the caramel sweetness of the dates!
- 1/4 frozen banana (2 – 3 small chunks, about 25 g)
- 1/4 cup (20 g) rolled oats
- 3 large or 5 small dates, pitted (around 1/4 cup, 45 g)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vanilla almond milk
- 3 – 4 frozen almond milk cubes (or ice cubes)
- 1 tbsp (16 g) almond butter (optional)*
- Pinch of salt
Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. This smoothie can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for extra delectable creaminess and thickness!
Sunday - Coconut, vanilla and almond butter smoothie
Prep time (5 mins)
While this almond butter smoothie is a velvety, addicting and healthy smoothie to start your day, it also makes a guilty pleasure snack during a chaotic weekend. No artificial sugars involved with this sweet and tasty dish. All it is is coconut, vanilla, almond butter and dates!
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 10 small dates
- 1 tsp vanilla paste, vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice
- Sweetleaf stevia vanilla creme or Truvia for taste
- Vanilla protein powder: optional
Add all ingredients aside from ice into the blender. Blend until ingredients form a smooth puree. Add ice and blend until ice is crushed and mixed well. Pour into two glasses decorated with coconut shavings and serve immediately. Add stevia for a more intense vanilla flavour, and add more or less ice to obtain the consistency you desire.